For a future without poverty
Tel: 020 7392 2953
The Complexities of life in debt
Published: 27 Nov 2013
This morning Toynbee Hall attended the launch of the Money Advice Service’s report, Indebted lives: the complexities of life in debt. The report looks in to the complex and differing needs of those who are in debt and has identified eight categories of potential clients across the UK.
In London, an estimated 230,000 families were in need of debt advice last year. Having led the London-wide Capitalise debt advice partnership since 2006, seeing 20,000 clients each year, we have seen demand rising – and know that advice is not always readily available to everyone who needs it.
We have also seen first-hand the impact that debt can have on the lives of individuals, families and communities.
In October, we were asked by MAS to draft a proposal for the continued delivery of debt advice in London between 2014 and 2017. We want to use this opportunity to look further at how we can work with our clients to help them deal with both the crisis when it hits, but also help provide clients with financial resilience to ensure it doesn’t recur.
We are currently working with our London wide network to develop a new service delivery model that will help us to:
- Provide long-term support to our clients, to build stronger relationships and help halt the debt cycle
- Better measure the impact of our advice, to understand how our support services can make a long-term change in our clients’ lives
- Fill gaps in service provision across London, to ensure the supply of debt advice services meets demand across the Capital
- Innovate and trial new approaches
- Use our unique experience to shape the future of debt advice.
These proposals will be finalised in early 2014, giving us a strong roadmap for delivery and development over the next three years. We will continue to deliver debt advice from Toynbee Hall and across the Capitalise partnership.
We welcome the opportunity to work with the Money Advice Service on the design and delivery of debt advice across London until 2017.
If you would like to find out more about our work please contact Dolly Galvis on 020 7392 2923.